Thursday, October 23, 2008

Change:A Visual Summary

As I was sitting reflecting on the past two days and how much I have learned, a notification comes across my TweetDeck (a new toy) and I find that Liz B. Davis has posted a new idea:

What if a teacher asked her students to find an image each week representing their learning. Fridays the class could go through each of the images and students could share why they chose them. Students could use Flickr to find their images where pictures are tagged with words like "citizenship" and "courage."

Liz goes on to make even more connections to what the lesson could look like including tagging, copyright, and creative commons. Since it connected so closely to what we had been thinking about, I immediately went to Flickr to do a search. I knew without a doubt what my search word was: change.

Immediately, I was gifted with the ideal picture in one of the very first images. Normally, I would have snagged that picture and posted it right away, right here for you all to see. But then I remembered asking Sara about how to cite those pictures that I love to use. I clicked on the picture and low and behold - all rights reserved. I could use that picture but first I would need to ask permission. And that certainly wouldn't be timely for this blog post.

I half-heartedly dug around Flickr for other things that were tagged with "change" but nothing struck me as much as that first image. And then I remembered that I have a camera and while I am not as gifted as the photographer of that image - I have set a goal to exercise and flex that other side of my brain every once in a while. Here it is:



I posted the other shots on Flickr with the tag "change" and "pluggedin" if you would like to see them - I clearly need to work a bit on lighting!! I was going to add why I selected this particular view of my change jar but then I thought it might just be better open to interpretation. Feel free to tell me what you think in the comments section!

1 comment:

Liz B Davis said...

What a great example! I love your photo and I love the thinking involved in finding/creating it. When I make slide shows I always think about the images that I could use to make my point. Honestly, when I looked up "courage" I didn't find what I wanted, so I started to think about what images represent "courage" to me. I thought of the cowardly lion in Wizard of Oz and then found a picture. I love the idea of having the kids take the pictures (rather than just find them).
-Liz